Body of clerk reported missing found in canal

  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 15 Jul 2003

JOHOR BARU: Clerk Tan Wee Chee, who was reported missing and whose car was found burnt last week, has been found dead in an irrigation canal in Senggarang, 16km from where she was last seen in Batu Pahat. 

She had strangulation marks on her neck and was found floating in a canal at an oil palm estate in Parit Botak, Senggarang, at 5.15pm on Sunday.  

FOUND DEAD: Tan was found with strangulation marks on her neck.

Johor police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Musa Hassan, who confirmed the discovery, said Tan was clad in a black T-shirt, blue jeans and light-blue socks with no shoes. 

He said the police had yet to ascertain if she had been raped, as her body was found with her clothes intact.  

Lam:'Wee Chee was a friendly person who was willing to help her colleagues anytime'.

“The deceased was found in a face-up position with bruises on the neck, believed to have been caused by strangulation. 

“Tan’s body has been sent to the Batu Pahat Hospital for a post-mortem and her remains have been identified by family members,” he said after opening a badminton championship in Johor Baru yesterday. 

Tan, who worked as a clerk in a towing company and a part-time tutor, was last seen by her brother Wee Phang, 28, at 9pm on Wednesday as she was about to park her car to go to a supermarket in Batu Pahat.  

The next day her family lodged a missing person's report at the district police headquarters. 

Her Perodua Kancil car was found burnt and abandoned along a road in Taman Banang Jaya on Wednesday night.  

Lim: 'She was a nice girl who loved her family very much.'

Batu Pahat OCPD Asst Comm Ahmad Latifi Yaacob said police were investigating the motive behind her disappearance and death, adding that more people were expected to be interviewed to help in investigations. 

The police, he said, must wait for the post-mortem report before establishing the actual cause of death. 

Tan's sister-in-law Lim Ley Hoon said the family accepted her death as fate but hoped police would arrest the culprits soon and bring them to justice. 

“She was a sweet and nice girl who loved her family very much. She hardly went out till late at night and on occasions when she stayed out late, she would call home as she did not want to worry her parents,” she said. 

Meanwhile, Doreen Tee, principal of Genius Art Studio where Tan worked as a part-time English tutor, said she was shocked to learn of her death.  

“The last time I saw her was when she was leaving around 8.30pm,” Tee said. 

She said although Tan had only worked at the tuition centre for a month, she was well liked by her colleagues and students.  

“Wee Chee said she needed to take on a part-time job to help her father (who had one of his legs amputated earlier this year),” she said. 

Lam Chee Keong, Yong Hup Soon Motor Works owner who employed Tan as a clerk for three years, described her as a friendly person, who was willing to assist her colleagues anytime.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Next In Nation

Police present at Melaka schools to ensure new normal compliance under conditional MCO
Making sustainable consumption choices
Muhyiddin to deliver 'Setahun Malaysia Prihatin' speech at 10am Monday (March 1)
Sense of calm as 1.1mil preschoolers, Year One and Year Two pupils enter schools
Man seen using profanities towards cops in viral video already arrested, says Penang police
Covid-19: Cases up by 2,437 bringing total to 300,752 (updated daily)
INTERACTIVE: Vaccination showing good results abroad but experts warn against complacency
I don’t depend on my boyfriend, says Atikah
PM: Emergency declaration had nothing to do with politics
Special incentives to attract investors

Stories You'll Enjoy