High Court postpones Lingam's case to Aug 20


  • Nation
  • Friday, 11 Jul 2003

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk V.K. Lingam’s application to stop the Bar Council disciplinary board from investigating two complaints against him was postponed by the High Court yesterday because Datuk Bastian Pius Vendargon, who was to appear for the Bar Council, had been shot on Tuesday. 

Judicial Commissioner Wan Afrah Ibrahim ordered that the case be mentioned on Aug 20 after she was informed of Vendargon’s condition via a letter faxed by his office on Wednesday. 

Co-counsel T. Gunaseelan informed Wan Afrah that Vendargon, who was admitted to the National Heart Institute, was in stable condition. 

The prominent lawyer was reported to have been shot on Tuesday night while having drinks with some friends at a café in Kuantan. 

Lingam’s application was fixed for hearing yesterday after Wan Afrah had on June 18 granted an interim order allowing a stay of execution of the Advocates and Solicitors Disciplinary Board decision to carry out the inquiry. 

In the application proper, Lingam is seeking an order to stay the inquiry pending the disposal of his appeal against the board’s decision to set up a tribunal to inquire into the complaints against him. 

No date has been fixed yet for the appeal, which was filed on Feb 22. 

The two complaints dated Aug 6 last year, lodged by the Bar Council, had alleged misconduct on the part of Lingam. 

The first complaint was that he did not reply to the four letters the council had sent him between August and November 1998, therefore breaching the Ruling of the Bar Council 1997. 

The other complaint concerned a newspaper report on Aug 31, 1999 relating to a mega defamation suit filed by Insas Bhd and Megapolitan Nominees Sdn Bhd against Asian Wall Street Journal correspondent Raphael Pura. 

On Nov 21 last year, the board informed Lingam through a letter that there was merit in the complaints lodged by the Bar Council against him. 

The board then decided to constitute an investigating tribunal to inquire into the complaints. The investigating tribunal fixed July 22 to inquire into the complaints.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

G25 expresses concern over govt’s ‘paranoia’ over Nur Sajat
Man under investigation over claims of being able to dine in unvaccinated
M’sian cops to launch extradition request to arrest Nur Sajat
One of three MACC officers probed for RM25mil theft case nabbed by police for drugs, firearm possession
Body of unidentified men found near MMEA Batu Pahat jetty
Govt will implement anti-party hopping law, but yet to decide if it should be a criminal offence, says law minister
Implement long overdue Sabah IC to help resolve undocumented migrant issue in the state, says Kitingan
Covid-19: Sabah's daily cases increase to 1,629 on Thursday (Sept 23)
Air Selangor: Unscheduled water supply disruption involving six areas in Shah Alam
Boy found drowned a day after falling off boat, second victim still missing

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers