KUALA LUMPUR: The Police Narcotics Department has confirmed that the two brothers killed in two separate attacks in Sabak Bernam and Haadyai on June 8 were not linked to a drug syndicate.
Its deputy director, Senior Asst Comm I Datuk Mangsor Ismail, said yesterday that ongoing investigations by the Malaysian and Thai police did not indicate that both men were victims of a drug syndicate as suspected earlier.
He confirmed this at the Ampang district police station headquarters.
Police had picked up five suspects in Sabak Bernam and Kuala Lumpur last week, who are believed to be members of a notorious triad gang based here. Three of them were released after being questioned.
A police officer, who declined to be named, said they had narrowed down their investigations into the motive for the killings.
He said a special task force, headed by Criminal Investigations Department deputy director Datuk Mokhtar Hassan, was working on the possibility that business rivalry could have been a motive for the attack.
On June 8, several hours after attacking Kee Teck Leng, 42, and his Thai wife in Haadyai, assailants killed Kees younger brother in front his family members in Taman Seri Indah, Sungai Besar, near Sabak Bernam.
Teck Leng, who was warded at the Sakirin Hospital in Haadyai since the first attack, died on June 21 after he was stabbed at least 20 times by four men who entered the VIP ward at the hospital. Bernama