Convicted rapist asks court to 'prove' his guilt


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 10 Jun 2003

BY PRISCILLA DIELENBERG

PENANG: A stevedore appealing against his jail term for raping his three daughters vehemently demanded that the High Court proceed with his case.  

The 42-year-old man, who had already been through a full trial before being convicted by the Sessions Court, yesterday demanded that the High Court call in witnesses to prove his guilt. 

“Other people created trouble and I ended up suffering for it. I’m the one who got hurt, my children are fine,” said the former Felda settler, who paced a few steps in the dock. 

Judicial Commissioner Su Geok Yiam pointed out to the man that his case was already at the appeal stage, and the court was only supposed to hear his appeal against his sentence. 

The man grumbled as the court upheld the lower court decision. 

Sessions Court judge Siti Mariah Ahmad had on March 25 last year, found the man guilty of all three charges and sentenced him to 15 years’ jail and one stroke of the rotan on each count, with the jail terms to run concurrently from his date of arrest on July 14, 1999. 

The man was convicted of raping his eldest daughter, then 17, at 10am on June 29, 1999, his youngest, then 11, in May 1999, at their house in Bagan Dalam, Butterworth, and his other daughter, then 13, at an apartment in Bagan Dalam in February 1998. 

The man had sought a reduction of his jail term but senior DPP Abdul Razak Musa objected, saying there had been no error in the principle of sentencing. 

“He had committed a very revolting and cruel offence,” he said, and reminded the court to consider the psychological effects of the man’s actions on his children. 

“According to evidence, he repeatedly raped the girls although they were under his care and protection. He used condoms, which he later burnt to prevent his wife from finding out,” he said, adding that this showed the man’s actions were premeditated. 

Abdul Razak said the man’s eldest daughter had once run away from home because she could no longer handle the situation and the girls had sought help from the Welfare Department. 

When Abdul Razak finished, the man got up to refute what had been said and demanded a trial.  

Earlier, the man also asked that his wife be allowed to visit him in prison, claiming that his mother told him the police refused to let his wife visit him. 

“I have been in prison for five years, and had no visitors except my parents and younger sibling,” he said.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online