PETALING JAYA: The Government is standing firm on its decision that all highway concessionaires use the Touch 'n Go electronic toll payment system from Sunday and those not using it will have to collect payment by hand.
Works Minister Datuk Seri S. Samy Vellu said the Government would degazette the other electronic toll collection cards and concessionaires would not be allowed to use them.
There will be no more extensions. They (the concessionaires) will have to comply with this.
They have to use the Touch 'n Go or collect the toll charges manually, he told reporters yesterday after launching the Touch 'n Go parking system at the Sunway Pyramid shopping complex.
Samy Vellu said the Government had decided on the single electronic toll payment card to ensure road users were not burdened with numerous cards.
If we didnt have this system, and had 55 highways, motorists will have to carry 55 cards. We dont want this to happen, he said.
He said the Government had given ample notice and two extensions to concessionaires to comply with the directive issued in 1998.
It has been five years and yet they are unable to comply with the ruling. We cannot entertain any more requests for postponements.
Samy Vellu said those holding other cards could either get reimbursements for the balance on their cards or credit it to the Touch 'n Go card.
Highways using the Touch n Go system operated by Rangkaian Segar Sdn Bhd are North-South Expressway, Elite Expressway, Metramac toll roads, Penang Bridge, Sungai Besi Highway, Ampang-KL Elevated Highway and Second Link while those not using it are Cheras-Kajang Highway, Damansara-Puchong Expressway, Sprint, North Klang Straits Bypass, Kesas Highway, Butterwoth-Kulim Expressway and Karak Highway.
Rangkaian Segar chief operating officer Swinder Grewal said the firm had signed agreements last week with two of the seven concessionaires not using Touch n Go and the other five were expected to sign soon.
Did you find this article insightful?