KOTA KINABALU: The trial of two General Operations Force policemen accused of raping a 13-year-old girl at a detention centre last year has been postponed to tomorrow.
The trial, scheduled for five days, was due to begin yesterday but had to be put off because presiding Sessions Court judge Datuk Nurchaya Arshad had to attend a meeting.
This was announced by Lower Court Registrar Pitrus Lee, who fixed the new hearing date for the trial of Mohd Fauzi Yahya, 34, and Ahmad Nazri Zainorddin, 33. Both accused were charged separately under Section 376 of the Penal Code on Feb 28.
The two Perak policemen were accused of raping the girl at the Menggatal temporary immigration detention centre near here between July 27 and Aug 12.
At yesterday’s hearing, Mohd Fauzi’s counsel, Cedric Choo, told the court that he and Ahmad Nazri's counsel, James Tsai, had not received any documents relating to the case.
Deputy Supt Bernard Leo, who acted for the Deputy Public Prosecutor, said he would inform the DPP’s office about it.
The girl was among hundreds of Filipino illegal immigrants rounded up during Ops Nyah II Bersepadu last year.
She was deported to southern Philippines in September, where she told authorities there that she was raped.
A special Bukit Aman police investigation team later determined that the girl was in fact a Malaysian. She was then sent back to Sabah in December and placed under the care of social workers and counsellors at the Princess Anne Home here.