Video trader's son in lock-up following raid


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 25 May 2003

BY A. LETCHUMANAN

KUALA LUMPUR: A 17-year-old youth looking after his father’s video outlet ended up being handcuffed and placed in a lock-up following a raid at their shop in Selayang Baru on Sunday night. 

The Form Five student also claimed that he had to strip to his underwear and spent a few hours in the lock-up at the Bukit Idaman police station with 12 other detainees before being released on Monday morning. 

His father, K. Krishna Kumar, 40, said a police report had been lodged against the police for the “inhumane” treatment of his son. 

“He is traumatised by the incident and has become more quiet since. We are sending him for counselling,” he said in an interview yesterday.  

Gombak OCPD Asst Comm Masari Hashim confirmed the report and said the boy was detained as he was manning the shop at the time of the raid. 

According to the boy, three policemen came to the shop on Sunday and told him they were conducting a raid. 

“I informed them that my father had gone out and would be coming back but they immediately handcuffed my hands and search the shop,” he said. 

The boy said he was taken to the police station and placed in an empty cell after the VCDs and videotapes seized from the shop had been counted. 

“But after a while, they asked me to come out and strip to my underwear and put me with other detainees in another cell. 

“I was very scared and cried. Some of the others in the lock-up also pinched me and hit me,” he said. 

Krishna said when he heard that police had taken his son away, he rushed to the police station. 

“I informed them I am the owner of the shop, and asked them to release the boy on bail as he had an examination on Monday. However, the officer shouted and threatened to detain me if I did not leave,” he said. 

Krishna said the boy was finally released after officials from the Malaysian Indian Video Shop Owners Association came and talked to the police. 

Selayang MIC Youth chief P. Kamalanathan, who was present, said MIC Youth supported the steps taken by the police to eradicate pornographic VCDs but was unhappy over the way the raids and enforcement had been carried out. 

“It is sad that a 17-year-old boy was handcuffed and put in a lock-up. We want to know why.” 

The Selayang MIC Youth, he added, would submit a memorandum to Home Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, calling for an investigation into the raids of Indian video outlets.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Johor cops issue over 40 compounds in karaoke centre raid
Two brothers die while on their way to gift car to father
Two girls drown at Pantai Sg Ular in Kuantan, boy missing
Jakim's Syarak and Civil Law Technical Committee to improve Syariah criminal laws
Labuan woman stranded in Sarawak for over 30 years returns home
Driver meets deceased's family to seek forgiveness
Covid-19: Kg Sinsingon and Kg Lotong in Sabah under enhanced MCO until March 12
Driver of crashed bus ferrying Covid-19 patients tests positive for disease
Health DG: Seven out of eight new clusters linked to workplaces
Departure of Sebatik assemblyman will not weaken Warisan, says Merotai rep

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers