KUALA LUMPUR: A former editor-in-chief from The Sun said the contents of the two articles which became the subject matter in a libel suit were proven to be correct, a High Court heard yesterday.
Ho Kay Tat, 44, said the newspaper concluded that the two articles published in April 2000 about a former general manager of Sepang Interna- tional Circuit Sdn Bhd (SIC) being replaced were proven to be true.
“There was no contact from the aggrieved person, Hussin Mohd Ali, until six months after the publication of the articles but in the interim period, he (Hussin) was replaced by SIC.
“To us (The Sun) the stories which were published on April 26 and 27, 2000, saying there will be changes (Hussin would be replaced) as a result of some problems, were correct,” said Ho, who is now the editor-in-chief of The Edge, both here and in Singapore.
Ho was giving evidence in the suit by Hussin, 43, against Sun Media Corporation Sdn Bhd, which publishes The Sun, and against him (Ho).
In the RM120mil suit filed last year, Hussin claimed the articles – ''Shake-up at Sepang International Circuit'' and ''Status quo as SIC quash talk of change'' published in April 2000 – bore malicious criticism of him and his profession.
Apart from seeking RM60mil in general damages from each of the defendants, he is asking for aggravated and exemplary damages, an injunction, interest and costs.
The defendants denied having defamed Hussin and pleaded fair comment.
The trial concluded yesterday after hearing testimony from four witnesses.
Justice Azmel Ma'amor fixed today for mention to set the date for both parties to submit on the case.