Police launch manhunt for kidnappers of Sarawakian


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 14 May 2003

BY STEPHEN THEN

MIRI: Police have launched a manhunt to track down a group of kidnappers who released their victim over the weekend after holding him hostage for 11 months and asking for RM5mil in ransom. 

State CID chief Senior Asst Comm II Abdul Razak Hassan said help from Brunei police had been sought to track down the kidnappers. 

“The 30-year-old victim was released in Miri and he is in good physical condition. 

“As far as we know, no money was paid to the kidnappers. We believe a syndicate may be involved. 

“I need to interview him to find out more details,” he said at the airport here after arriving from Kuching to look into the case. 

Asked why the victim was released unharmed after being supposedly held for such a long time and claims that no ransom was paid, SAC Razak said the police needed to investigate.  

He said the victim is a Sarawakian holding a Malaysian passport but his mother lived in Brunei. 

“He completed his studies in England and went back to Brunei. On June 13 last year, he was said to have been kidnapped. His mother lodged a report with the Brunei police while his brother lodged a report with the Miri police,” he said. 

The victim was found along a village road in Riam about 15km from Miri.  


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online