KUALA LUMPUR: A former general manager of the Sepang International Circuit Sdn Bhd (SIC) told the High Court yesterday that the two articles about him in The Sun had tarnished his image and caused him to lose his position at the SIC.
Hussin Mohd Ali, who is now the chief operating officer of Stesen Sentral Kuala Lumpur, said he was angry and upset after reading the articles dated April 27 and April 28, 2000.
When asked about the articles, Hussin said no reporter from the newspaper had contacted him before the articles were published.
“It was only after reading the articles that I found out that the newspaper had tried to contact me,” he said during cross-examination by Nitin V. Nadkarni, who is representing The Sun.
To a question by Nadkarni, Hussin said he had never attempted to call The Sun to verify the contents of the articles and neither did he release any statement to deny the reports.
Hussin, 43, was testifying in his libel suit against Sun Media Corporation Sdn Bhd, which publishes The Sun and its former editor-in-chief Ho Kay Tat.
He is suing over the articles – “Shake-up at Sepang International Circuit (SIC),” and “Status quo as SIC quash talk of change”– which were published in the newspaper in April 2000.
In the RM120mil suit filed last year, Hussin claimed that the articles bore malicious criticism of him and his profession.
Apart from seeking RM60mil in general damages from each of the two defendants, he is also asking for aggravated and exemplary damages, an injunction, interest and costs.
In their defence, the defendants denied having defamed Hussin and also pleaded fair comment.
They contended that the articles were mainly on the SIC and were not related at all to Hussin’s profession, work or business.
Hearing before Justice Azmel Ma’amor continues today.