Fugitive company boss nabbed after sales talk

  • Nation
  • Saturday, 10 May 2003


SHAH ALAM: The elusive foreign director of an allegedly unlicensed direct-selling company was nabbed after the suave-looking man gave a talk on how to make millions to a packed audience at a hotel in Petaling Jaya. 

A warrant of arrest had been issued on the man, a Philippine national, last year after he failed to turn up for a court case involving his firm. 

Selangor Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs enforcement officers detained the man after the talk on Thursday with help of the police. 

“We have been looking for this man for a long time. There is a warrant of arrest for him after he failed to turn up to testify in the trial involving his company,” said state enforcement director Zainal Abidin Mohd Noordin yesterday. 

He added that the state enforcement unit filed the case against the direct-selling company last year after investigations showed it was running a multi-level marketing scheme involving the buying of gold bars from Hong Kong. 

The company, operating from an office in a shopping mall in Petaling Jaya, offered gold bars worth US$5,000 (RM19,000) each to potential members at a reduced price provided they sign up a minimum of two other buyers each. 

Over 300 people had signed up as members, with some later complaining to the enforcement unit when they realised that the scheme was not as transparent as it had seemed. 

The company directors, including the Filipino and a Malaysian, were asked to appear in court, but they could not be found until the arrest of the Filipino on Thursday.  

Zainal believed the Filipino had avoided detection by travelling to countries around the region promoting the same dubious direct-selling scheme his company had been charged with. 

“His talk, where he told the public how easy it was to become a millionaire through a certain business scheme, sounded similar to the concept he used in the previous company,” he said. 


The Filipino was produced in court in Petaling Jaya yesterday morning, where the judge ordered him to face the charges against him. 


The court directed the man to put up a RM20,000 cash bond in one surety and impounded his passport. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Across The Star Online