Pak Lah: Intensify eradication of porn VCDs


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 08 May 2003

BOTH Berita Harian and Utusan Malaysia front-paged the directive by Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to the police and the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry to intensify the eradication of pornographic VCDs. 

The Deputy Prime Minister, who is also Home Minister, was quoted as saying he was still dissatisfied with enforcement against the sale of the VCDs. 

“The authorities must continue to act. If they relent for just a while, these VCDs will flood the market. I am still not satisfied and much more needs to be done,” he was quoted as saying in Berita Harian

He said the problem was compounded by the fact that there were people who wanted to watch pornography and the material fed a high demand. 

Berita Harian also reported that The Economist’s Christopher Lockwood, whose controversial feature, “The Changing of Guard - A Survey of Malaysia,” appeared in the magazine’s April 5 to 11 edition, had not known the quota system for university entrance had been abolished since 2001. 

This was among the errors made in the article which caused an outcry among Malaysia’s top leaders, and which National Economic Action Council (NEAC) executive director Datuk Mustapa Mohamed has rebutted point-by-point to the weekly. 

Lockwood, the magazine’s editor for Asia, was quoted as asking if the quota system had indeed been abolished or it was only in the pipeline. 

Lockwood also said he had received the NEAC’s rebuttal and his editor was still studying how best to respond to the Malaysian Government. 

Berita Harian carried several proposals from Sisters in Islam on how to further streamline procedures for the practising of polygamy among Muslim men, including having employers automatically deduct a man’s salary for the upkeep of his first wife and their children. 

The non-governmental organisation called for Muslim men who wanted to practise polygamy to be made to prove they fulfilled all four conditions for wanting to take more than one wife. 

Utusan Malaysia reported about an Indonesian maid who allegedly ran off with a wedding dowry worth over RM100,000 in jewellery and cash in Kampung Kok Pasir, Tumpat, in Kelantan on Monday. 

The newspaper quoted Tumpat Deputy OCDP Deputy Supt Juri Yunus as saying that she was arrested on Tuesday night in an empty house in Kampung Palekbang together with the stolen dowry.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online