KUALA LUMPUR: Three new suspect Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) cases were reported on Monday.
Health Ministry deputy director-general Datuk Dr Ismail Merican said they involved two lorry drivers and a 55-year-old American teacher who has been warded at Malacca Hospital.
The lorry drivers were admitted to the Ipoh and Alor Star Hospitals.
“Their chest X-rays are normal and they are reported to be in stable condition,” he told the daily SARS briefing.
He said the 76 who visited Singapore’s Pasir Panjang wholesale market had yet to contact the ministry.
“Although it is their last day of quarantine today (yesterday), we pray that none of them is infected,” he said at the daily SARS briefing.
As of Monday, 834 had been placed under quarantine.
No new probable cases were reported.
Twenty-six people have been isolated. These comprise seven in Selangor, four pending in Sarawak, four in Kuala Lumpur, two each in Perlis, Perak, Malacca and Kedah and one each in Pahang, Negri Sembilan and Penang.
On the situation in Sarawak, Dr Ismail said 20 more health care providers at the Sarawak General Hospital had been quarantined.
The hospital had been sealed off to visitors since Monday after a 44-year-old woman died of a bacterial pneumonia infection.
In Malacca, a lorry driver plying the Malacca-Singapore route was admitted to the general hospital on Monday for observation.
The 25-year-old driver returned to Malacca on April 25 and was admitted for high fever.
Meanwhile, Dr Ismail wants state executive councillors to stop releasing “latest SARS statistics” to avoid confusion and to give talks on awareness instead.
He said contact tracing figures were dynamic and changed daily.
He said the ministry was the only source of information and the figures it released were valid and accurate at the time received.