KUALA LUMPUR: Action will be taken against the 76 people who visited Singapore’s Pasir Panjang wholesale market and did not contact the Health Ministry to be placed under quarantine since April 19.
Minister Datuk Chua Jui Meng said the quarantine would end today but the 76 still could not be located.
He said the ministry would continue to look for them even after the quarantine period.
“They still need to be identified, traced and examined to make sure that they don’t have any SARS symptoms.
“They are contacts who should be treated as suspects.
“We are looking into the legal aspects against those who avoided the quarantine. It will come under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988.
“Those who know of these people must expose them,” he said after receiving a memorandum on SARS from the MCA Youth at his ministry.
Under the Act, those who break the quarantine order can be jailed two years or fined or both and face five years' jail, a fine or both for subsequent offences.
The wholesale market was closed last week after a worker there was diagnosed with SARS.
On the Asean+3 Heads of Government Summit on SARS in Bangkok, Chua said he expected the leaders to seriously consider the joint statement by the Health Ministers issued last Saturday.