KUALA LUMPUR: The Health Ministry is looking for the 99 Malaysians who visited the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)-affected Pasir Panjang Wholesale Market in Singapore.
Of the 203 people who visited the market, 98 have been placed under home quarantine while six are still in Singapore.
Health deputy director-general Datuk Dr Ismail Merican said of the 99, over 50 did not have contact details or complete addresses and the others were being traced.
“The quarantine is necessary to prevent the disease from spreading and to avoid local transmission,” he said at the daily media briefing at the Asean+3 Health Ministers Special Meeting on SARS yesterday.
Dr Ismail said that as at 6pm on Thursday, three notifications and one suspected SARS case had been reported.
“The case involves a 35-year-old Kelantanese labourer in a Singapore nursery, who fell sick on April 17 in the republic,” he said.
He said the man had returned the next day and was admitted to the Kota Baru Hospital – but was able to pass through screening controls at the Causeway.
Dr Ismail said the existing probable case in Penang Hospital – a 56-year-old woman – had recovered and was discharged.
He said all the 29 people who had been in contact with the co-pilot, a probable case, in Penang, were under quarantine.
He said the 35-year-old woman attendant at Ipoh Hospital, suspected with SARS symptoms, was recovering.