Govt declares SARS a national security matter


  • Nation Premium
  • Sunday, 06 Apr 2003

NATIONAL SECURITY (April 5): Malaysia has declared the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) a national security matter and will take thorough measures to stem the possible spread of the disease. Health Minister Datuk Chua Jui Meng said on Friday that the decision was made based on the recommendation of the National Committee on SARS. 

SUSPECTED SARS CASES (April 4): Six more suspected SARS cases were reported, bringing the cumulative number of cases to 65. On Wednesday, the ministry reported 59 suspected cases, of which 19 were under quarantine in hospitals. Nine out of the 19 cases had been discharged, leaving 10 patients still under observation. On Thursday, six new cases were reported, bringing to 16 the number of people quarantined. As of Friday, there were no deaths related to probable SARS cases. 

Article type: metered
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

JPJ: Road tax for almost 3.8 million vehicles yet to be renewed, owners encouraged to do so before Dec 31 Premium
MIC sec-gen M.Asojan now one of party's three vice presidents Premium
Dr Wee extends condolences to Transport Ministry secretary general over father's passing Premium
Prime Minister extends birthday wishes to Pak Lah Premium
Make air travel simple, says IATA Premium
Penang a domestic holiday hotspot Premium
VTL-Land set to open next week Premium
Melaka names its new exco line-up Premium
Travel ban on seven African nations Premium
National Action Plan launched Premium

Others Also Read


Vouchers