Expedite Pan-Borneo Highway project, PWD told


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 01 Apr 2003

BY STEPHEN THEN

MIRI: The Public Works Department (PWD) has been asked to expedite the construction of the stretch of the Pan-Borneo Highway linking Sarawak and Sabah by-passing Brunei as it is crucial for the development of the tourism market in the states. 

The Federal Ministry of Culture, Arts and Tourism and the Sarawak government want the project started as soon as possible because the Cabinet had already approved it as a special project. 

Minister Datuk Paduka Abdul Kadir Sheikh Fadzir yesterday said the approval was given more than a year ago. 

“My ministry will help to expedite this project at the Federal level while the Sarawak Minister of Tourism (Datuk Seri Abang Johari Abang Haji Openg) will do his part at the state level. 

“The JKR was supposed to conduct an estimate of the cost and do a survey on its length. It must be implemented fast,” he told a press conference after the National Tourism Development Council meeting here. 

Kadir said the Miri-Limbang-Lawas-Sabah direct link would run south of the Brunei border thus ensuring that it by-passes the four immigration checkpoints stationed at the two borders of Brunei. 

This highway will be linked to the Miri-Bintulu-Sibu-Kuching highway that is under construction. 

Kadir said that another highway project that must be given priority is the Kuching-Serikin highway that links to Kalimantan in southern Sarawak. 

The Minister also noted that special attention would be given by his ministry and the state government to the development of Miri as it was a very important focal point for regional-international tourism.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

INTERACTIVE: Why Covid-19 vaccine queue-jumpers are a threat, and what can be done
Bersatu: We have decided
‘Pandemic or not, we are on track’ are completely on track, says Works Minister
‘Vaccine is safe for all ages’
MySejahtera app now tracks your registration progress
Sg Buloh ramming incident: Duo to be charged on Friday (March 5)
MACC investigating officer: Ahmad Zahid received two cheques worth RM6mil
Zahid slams Takiyuddin's 'refusal' to reconvene Parliament
Bersatu: Umno's decision to cut ties will have a major impact on any future cooperation
Retired cop shares experience of apprehending Botak Chin, Bentong Kali

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers