Sabah more peaceful now, says Chong


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 26 Mar 2003

KOTA KINABALU: Datuk Chong Kah Kiat, who steps down as chief minister tomorrow, said Sabahans are now enjoying more peace of mind. 

“We have taken control again of our destiny,” he said yesterday, referring to the major crackdown against illegal immigrants a year ago. 

Sabah’s towns have now been cleared of touts – who were largely illegal immigrants – preying on motorists searching for parking bays for their vehicles, Chong said after launching a guidebook for his native Kudat district here. 

On his future in the state Cabinet, Chong who also holds the Tourism, Environment, Science and Technology portfolio, said he was leaving the matter in the hands of his successor and state Finance Minister, Datuk Musa Aman. 

Musa would take his oath as chief minister before Yang di-Pertua Negri Tun Ahmadshah Abdullah at Istana Negri tomorrow.  

In a related development, Ahmadshah’s confidential secretary Datuk Matusin Sunsang said yesterday that the swearing-in of the new state Cabinet, originally scheduled for Friday, had been postponed to April 1.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site