Anwar's assault suit to be heard on July 14


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 19 Mar 2003

KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court here has fixed July 14 to mention Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s suit against former Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Abdul Rahim Noor, the Home Minister and the Government over his assault while in police custody. 

Justice James Foong fixed the new date after meeting Anwar’s counsel, Gobind Singh Deo, and senior federal counsel Datuk Mary Lim, who represented the defendants, for a pre-trial discussion in chambers yesterday. 

Gobind Singh told reporters later that Anwar, in the meantime, would be applying for an order to disallow the Attorney-General’s Chambers from representing Abdul Rahim in the action. 

He said Anwar would be making the application on grounds that a conflict of interest might occur, as Abdul Rahim had been prosecuted for the assault and had later pleaded guilty to the offence. 

He said the application would be filed soon. 

In his suit, Anwar claimed that he was hit on the head, beaten on the left side of his neck and slapped several times while in police detention on Sept 20, 1998. 

Apart from exemplary damages, he is also seeking aggravated damages for the injuries caused to him, interest and costs. 

In a joint defence filed on Aug 25, 1999, the defendants denied that Abdul Rahim had punched Anwar. He only admitted to slapping Anwar in the face after he was called bapa anjing as the words had provoked him.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Sabah assembly to sit for three days from Aug 24
Comedian held to assist in sex trafficking case in Kuala Pilah
Penang Hospital's Outpatient Dept being used as initial treatment ward for Covid-19 as cases rise
Umno withdraws support of its MPs for Perikatan govt
Umno's Lenggong MP quits as Energy and Natural Resources Minister
Eight districts in Sarawak won't enter NRP Phase Three yet due to high Covid-19 cases
Bukit Mertajam market in Penang ordered to close again after five tested positive for Covid-19
Cops arrest man suspected of assaulting foreign trader
M'sia receives 415,000 AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine doses from the UK
Covid-19: Four localities in Sabah among nine to be placed under EMCO until Aug 18, says Hisham

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers