KUALA LUMPUR: The city police have pledged that they will conduct fair and impartial investigations into the alleged mistreatment of Indian professionals who were rounded up during a raid at Palm Court Condominium in Brickfields here.
Police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Dell Akhbar Khan said his disciplinary division had been directed to investigate further the allegations.
“The division will record statements from the alleged victims and police personnel who were involved in the operation.
“So far, we have not received any official report from the Indian High Commission or the alleged victims. We only learnt about the allegations through the newspapers,” he said after visiting the Cheras district police headquarters yesterday.
On Sunday, 165 Indian nationals, mostly IT professionals, who were arrested during a joint operation between police and the Immigration Department, alleged that they were abused and mistreated.
DCP Dell said disciplinary action would be taken against the police personnel if there was any wrongdoing.
“We have proven that we will not be biased. We have been charging our own people who committed crimes and offences,” he added.
On Tuesday, City deputy police chief Senior Asst Comm (I) Datuk Ahmad Bahrin Idrus had denied the allegations, saying that the process of arresting the foreigners and taking them In for questioning was done in accordance with the law.
He had said that a 67-man team, headed by Brickfields deputy OCPD Supt Mohd Kuzi Minai, raided the condominium based on information received by Federal police that many Indian nationals there were using forged passports and permits.