KUALA LUMPUR: The Government will look into allegations of police mistreating Indian nationals during a raid on suspected illegal immigrants on Monday, said Foreign Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar.
He said the Government received a protest note from the Indian Government yesterday alleging that there had been complaints of mistreatment by the police against the immigrants during the raid.
“It is a serious allegation about abuse of power, mistreatment and wrongdoings by our police. We will investigate the matter and let the Indian Government know the outcome,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby yesterday.
The Indian High Commissioner had claimed that 270 Indian nationals including IT professionals were arrested.
However, Syed Hamid said 162 Indian nationals and three Pakistanis were arrested during the raid, which was conducted by police with the co-operation of the Immigration Department.
The raid was held in an apartment in Brickfields following public complaints.
He said only six of the Indians and three Pakistanis who did not possess any valid documents were still being held at the Jalan Hang Tuah police station.
In New Delhi, The Statesman newspaper reported that India summoned Malaysian High Commissioner Datuk Choo Sien Kioh yesterday to explain the raid.
Police, meanwhile, denied that they used excessive force or violence during the raid.
City deputy police chief Senior Asst Comm (I) Datuk Ahmad Bahrin Idrus said there was no misconduct by police or the Immigration Department personnel in the operation.
“All of those picked up were given fair and just treatment according to the law. They were not forced to strip or do sit-ups and neither were they slapped or kicked as they claimed,” SAC Ahmad Bahrin said, adding they were only handcuffed.