2,000 protest against PAS government’s land takeover


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 02 Mar 2003

KUALA KRAI: Some 2,000 people staged a peaceful rally yesterday to protest against the decision of the PAS state government to acquire 4,046.86ha of land in Mukim Kuala Stong, Dabong, near here. 

The land, comprising orchards and rubber smallholdings belonging to some 500 people in 11 villages, reportedly would be leased out to a company for development into an oil palm plantation. 

The affected villages are Kampung Ingin Maju, Seri Mahligai, Kuala Mahligai, Dusun Durian, Gua Chatok, Seri Jaya, Seri Bintang, Serasa, Sungai Mala, Senduk Dalam and Pasir Kucing. 

“We take a serious view of this since the people had been working on the land for the past 40 years. 

“There was no compensation, nothing. 

“This is cruel,” Kelantan Umno Youth Chief Mohd Rujhan Salleh told reporters during the protest at Kampung Ingin Maju. 

He said the state government reportedly had agreed to lease out the land for 66 years with the option to increase it for another 33 years. 

Mohd Rujhan also claimed that the Kuala Lumpur-based company would pay a land premium of RM3,035,145 to the state Land and Mines Department. 

Meanwhile, villager Kamaruddin Tuan Hussin, 58, handed over to Mohd Rujhan several copies of approval letters from the department to the Perbadanan Menteri Besar Kelantan. 

Kamaruddin said the villagers had depended on the land for their livelihood for over 40 years. –Bernama 


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online