KOTA KINABALU: The falsifying of army passes by two former soldiers for sale to illegal immigrants has not breached any security in the military, said Defence Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
“Action has been taken against them. I don’t think there will be any problems,” he said yesterday after a lecture at the Universiti Malaysia Sabah.
He was commenting on the arrest of the two ex-soldiers and two women allegedly involved in making fake army warrant cards on Tuesday.
Najib said the two ex-soldiers who held the rank of private had been discharged on disciplinary grounds.
“It was only after they had left the service that these things (falsification) started. We are working closely with police on the case,” he said.
Kota Kinabalu city police chief Asst Comm Hamdan Mohammad said the two men, aged 24 and 26, were arrested together with two women, aged 22 and 40, in a rented room at Asia City here during a raid around midnight on Tuesday.
At a joint press conference yesterday with Fifth Infantry Brigade officer Mej Rosskelly Mohammad, ACP Hamdan said the duo were believed to have made at least 50 such military passes and sold them at RM150 each.
Police believed illegal immigrants bought the passes thinking they could evade arrest during police operations. The passes apparently stated that they were working at the military camp here.
Did you find this article insightful?