SRI AMAN: Six family members perished in a fire which broke out while they were asleep in their double-storey wooden house at Kampung Muhibbah, about 2km from here, on Monday.
The remains of housewife Esah Omar, 49, her two sons Saudi Hamdan, 26, and Hazirun Hamdan, 11, two daughters Nurashira Hamdan, 19 and Nurazara Hamdan, 18, and Nurashira’s two-year-old son Wan Yahya Wan Mat, were recovered from the debris early yesterday.
Nurashira was seven months pregnant.
Four of the bodies were found in one bedroom on the upper floor of the house, while the other two were in another bedroom.
The remains of the deceased were buried at Kampung Tengah cemetery yesterday.
Those who survived by jumping from the windows of their bedrooms were Esah’s husband, Hamdan Lumpong, 52, Nurashira’s husband Wan Mat Tengku Long and Nurashira's sister Zuita Hamdan, 12.
The blaze – the worst in Sarawak this year –occurred barely two days after another fire claimed the lives of four people in Sibu on Sunday.
In another major fire last month, four primary pupils of SK Iban Union in Ulu Balingian, Mukah Division, died in a hostel fire.
Hamdan, who has nine children, said the family members were asleep when the fire broke out at about 11.30pm.
He said the fire, which was first discovered by Zuita, was believed to have started from a kerosene lamp in the kitchen.
Zuita then alerted the others.
The family had moved into the house last September, and it has no electricity supply yet.
Firemen said about 70% of the house was ablaze when they arrived after being informed of the fire at 12.04am.
Did you find this article insightful?