KAJANG: More than 7,000 people showed their support for the Malaysians for Peace campaign in a signature drive organised in conjunction with the MCA Chinese New Year open house celebrations on Tuesday night.
MCA Youth International Affairs Bureau chief Fam Lee Ee said they urged people from all walks of life to take part in the peace campaign to show their protest against the impending US-led war on Iraq.
He said there was no target set for their collection drive but that they would be submitting the signatures to the organisers before the mass peace rally at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil on Feb 23.
The crowd, who helped themselves to a variety of local cuisine, were treated to a lion dance and fireworks display.
Also present were MCA vice-president Datuk Chua Jui Meng, MCA Youth chief Datuk Ong Tee Keat, Wanita MCA deputy chief Datin Paduka Dr Tan Yee Kew and deputy Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Dr Zainal Abidin Ahmad.
Ong said the youth had demonstrated a strong support for the peace campaign and the aged community should be encouraged to participate actively.
So far, those who have come forward to back the campaign are youngsters and the middle-aged.
The elderly folks, some of whom are hesitant to put their names down in the petition, must be informed of the purpose of the campaign, which is to promote peace, he told reporters at the function.