SEGAMAT: Floods hit the district for the second time in just over a week, forcing the evacuation of 1,676 people to 12 relief centres here.
OCPD Supt Mohd Hazam Mohd Halim said routes to several remote villages were cut off as the roads were under 0.6m to 0.7m of water due to heavy rain since last Friday.
However, 1,344 people from 188 families were allowed to return home after the floodwaters subsided.
Supt Mohd Hazam said as of 6pm yesterday, only 332 people from 57 families were left at the relief centres.
The flood relief centre at SK Batu Enam, which housed 56 flood victims from Kampung Paya Lang 1 and II, was closed yesterday.
Supt Mohd Hazam said this was the second incident here as the district was just recovering from floods last week following persistent rain.
Several villages in the interior such as Kampung Rokam, Kampung Puting, Kampung Balai Badang, Kampung Puting, Kampung Palong Timur and Kampung Mungkah in Buloh Kasap were still cut off.
Of the 332 victims, 69 from Felda Pemanis were placed at the Balai Raya Felda Pemanis II relief centre; 55 from Kampung Batu Badak were at the Balai Raya Gemerih relief centre; 45 from Kampung Kenawar/ Kampung Pogoh II were at the Balai Raya Kampung Pogoh II relief centre; and 33 from Kampung Paya Dalam were at the Surau Paya Dalam relief centre. – Bernama
Did you find this article insightful?