M'sian to attempt world record stunt


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 01 Feb 2003

BY FARID JAMALUDIN

SHAH ALAM: In another Malaysia Boleh project, a local man will attempt to cross the 1,000m-mark for unassisted rope traversing for a new world record this August in conjunction with the National Day celebrations. 

The organisers of the event are withholding the name of the Malaysian at this moment “on technical grounds” but, according to Nor Azhar Mohd Ghazali, managing director of Highline 2000 (M) Sdn Bhd, the stunt would be completed between two of the highest buildings here – the Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah administrative building and the Blue Wave Hotel. 

The current world record holder is Zdenec Kadlek from the Czech Republic who registered 953.63m in July 1998. 

“He took almost 45 minutes for the distance. We expect our bidder to do it in about one hour,” said Nor Azhar, adding that Highline 2003 Shah Alam would be “the event of the year for Malaysians.” 

The never-attempted-before feat, which would be done 30m to 40m above the ground, would be held at night. 

Nor Azhar said this would be the longest rope-traversing act by a human being.  

Preparations for the feat started two years ago, he said, adding that a few more people were also considering joining the stunt. 

He said more than 2km of rope had been bought from a manufacturer in France. 

He said the idea was mooted by Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Mohammad Khir Toyo who wants to turn Shah Alam into a world events location. 

A soft launching ceremony for the event would be held on Feb 5 at the Concorde Hotel here.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Thaipusam: Chariot only allowed to travel to Batu Caves without procession, says Annuar
Lion and dragon dance troupes bracing for hard times
Covid-19: Nine new clusters reported, eight linked to workplaces
Covid-19: Two more deaths, 255 new cases in Sarawak as of Sunday (Jan 24)
Cops foil two ketum-smuggling attempts, seize leaves worth RM33,390
Bentong Prison, staff quarters to be under EMCO from Jan 25-Feb 8
Ismail Sabri: 550 arrested for violating SOP on Saturday (Jan 23), 130 not wearing face masks
Covid-19: 3,346 new cases, 11 fatalities bring death toll to 678
Covid-19: Cases up by 3,346, bringing total to 183,801 (updated daily)
Bomoh charged with sexually assaulting female patient in Kota Baru

Stories You'll Enjoy