PENANG: The Penang Outer Ring Road (PORR) concessionaire will consider a request to review the proposed RM1 toll charge at each of the four booths along the 17.8km stretch.
Peninsular Metroworks Sdn Bhd executive chairman Datuk Ahmad Ismail said the company would have to study cash flow matters before giving a definite answer.
He, however, defended the RM1 toll rate as reasonable, saying we have to collect toll for about 20 years to recover the project costs.
Furthermore, if we were to charge 60 sen or 70 sen, it will cause traffic jams because it will be time-consuming for toll collectors to provide change, he told newsmen yesterday after being sworn in as Penang a municipal councillor at the City Hall building.
On Sunday, Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Dr Hilmi Yahaya said the state welcomed any initiative by the concessionaire of the RM1.02bil project to review the toll charges.
The booths would be set up at Jalan Tengku Kudin/Glugor and Air Itam (toll collection both ways), Air Itam and Pulau Tikus (both ways), between Sunrise Tower and Jalan Pangkor (one-way only) and between Gurney Drive and Tanjung Tokong (one-way only).
Ahmad, who is Bukit Bendera Umno division chairman, also said motorcyclists, cyclists and trisha riders would be exempted from paying toll.
He said the company had submitted the draft concessionary agreement to the Economic Planning Unit in the Prime Ministers Department.
We hope the agreement could be signed in March or April and work could begin several months after that, he said.
The immediate task is to submit road designs and related structures for approval, he said, adding that the designs had been completed.