Restaurants offering more than meals


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 28 Jan 2003

BY LOONG MENG YEE

SHAH ALAM: Several restaurants in Selangor are providing more than just meals and tea. Probes following recent raids on these joints showed that some foreign waitresses had offered themselves as the “main course” while an afternoon tea session can mean sharing a cosy bed with one of them. 

Take for instance an entertainment centre in Selayang, where the operator did not only provide an open space for karaoke sessions, but private cubicles as well. 

“There is a bed and a bathroom in this cubicle. Obviously, singing is not the main activity here,” said state executive councillor in charge of local authorities, Datuk Mohd Mokhtar Ahmad Dahalan. 

Vice operators had become more creative in offering their services, he said after co-chairing the anti-vice Ops Kelawar meeting with SAC (I) Datuk Mohd Fauzi Shaari yesterday. 

Mohd Mokhtar said a recent raid at that particular entertainment centre in Selayang resulted in the detention of 38 foreign young women, suspected to be indulging in vice activities. 

The regular raids on vice activities at entertainment centres in the state had resulted in some positive results, he said, adding that feedback from the people showed they were pleased with the raids as these had rid their areas of immoral activities. 

“The raids will continue for another month. We are confident of ridding the state of rampant vice activities in three months, as directed by the Mentri Besar (Datuk Seri Dr Mohd Khir Toyo),” he said. 

Mohd Mokhtar said the state enforcement authorities and the police had the help of the Fire and Rescue Department to tear down illegal cubicles at entertainment centres. 

Representatives from power company, Tenaga Nasional Bhd, also helped to tear down illegal signboards, he said, adding: “It is a literal warning that we want the lights to go out on illegal and legal entertainment centres providing prostitution services.” 

Mohd Mokhtar said local authorities had been directed to list out the approved entertainment centres in their respective areas by the first week of February. 

SAC (I) Mohd Fauzi said there had been 224 raids on legal and illegal entertainment centres since Jan 1. 

“Some 600 foreign young women mostly from China, Thailand, Indonesia and Philippines, were arrested for suspected vice activities, including prostitution,” he said. 

He said most of the women entered the country using social passes, with some posing as international students.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

No decision yet on extending electricity rebate to next year, says Takiyuddin
Ministry to study proposal to increase scrap rubber floor price, says Zuraida
Expect some delays in completion of rural projects in Sabah due to movement restrictions, says Mahdzir Khalid
Tourism Ministry sets RM6,900 floor price for 12-day, 10-night umrah package
Driver killed, passenger injured after car crashes into road divider in Sungai Buloh
Parents, pupils glad vaccination for adolescents almost completed in Labuan
Interstate travel: 30% traffic increase in Johor since ban lifted, says state exco member
Home Ministry to discuss police salary issues, says PM Ismail Sabri
Covid-19: Sabah records 504 new cases on Sunday (Oct 17), no new clusters
M'sian students in UK should consider career in logistics, transportation, says Dr Wee

Others Also Read


Vouchers