Defective flats to be demolished by March


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 07 Jan 2003

KUANTAN: The 17 blocks of flats at Indera Mahkota, which showed structural defects five years ago, will be demolished before March, said Pahang Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob. 

Work to demolish the buildings, which had been an eyesore as well as a breeding ground for mosquitoes and a favourite haunt of drug addicts, will cost about RM2mil. 

A paper on the demolition work will be forwarded to the Kuantan Municipal Council (MPK) and the public works department for their next course of action, Adnan told reporters after addressing the monthly gathering of civil servants at Komtur here yesterday. 

The five-storey flats, comprising 1,360 units, along with 566 terrace houses, were completed in 1989 at a cost of RM36mil. 

In July 1995, some 500 people from 80 families from one of the blocks were evacuated at midnight after a supporting beam on a second floor collapsed.  

A check by the Public Works Department found structural defects in the buildings. 

Residents of the flats were moved out in phases over five years to several housing areas and the buildings have been left vacant for some three years. 

Adnan said the state government had received several quotations, ranging from RM1.5mil to RM5mil for the demolition contract and picked the RM2mil package. 

He said it had taken some time before the Government could get the contract to do the demolition as it is time consuming to vet contractors. 

He hoped that once the buildings are demolished, the social and health problems that had arose would be resolved.  


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online