Granny dies a week after attack by maid

  • Nation
  • Monday, 06 Jan 2003


PENANG: A 67-year-old grandmother, who was beaten up and robbed by her Indonesian maid, died yesterday, a week after lapsing into a coma. 

Mok Lan, from Bayan Baru, passed away at 11.21am yesterday without regaining consciousness at the Loh Guan Lye Specialists Centre here. 

She was brought to the hospital last Monday after her third daughter Choong Poh Lai, 36, found her lying on her bed with blood oozing from her forehead and cheeks. 

Relating the incident yesterday, a sobbing Poh Lai said her mother was still conscious when she found her at about 10am after the incident.  

“My mother told me that our new Indonesian maid had tricked her into her bedroom upstairs purportedly to ask her about some housework.  

“The maid then tried to strangle my mother with her hands and repeatedly banged her head on the floor,” said Poh Lai, a sales clerk. 

She added that the 19-year-old maid had also taken about RM100 from her mother's pants pocket before running away.  

She left behind her clothes and only took her family photograph with her. 

Mok was admitted to the hospital's coronary care unit (CCU) at about 11am and slipped into a coma an hour later.  

Her family lodged a police report the same day. 

When The Star met the family at the hospital yesterday, Poh Lai and her siblings were keeping vigil outside the CCU after being informed by doctors that Mok was in “very criticial condition”.  

At around 11.20 am, they were told that Mok had passed away without regaining consciousness.  

As distraught family members came out from the CCU, Poh Lai broke into tears and cried out that her mother's death was a tragic misfortune. 

Poh Lai's elder sister, Poh Thye, said the maid, who is from Surubaya, started working with the family only about nine days before the alleged incident. 

“We did not suspect anything was amiss as she was always smiling and there were no signs of her being temperamental or having any mental problems,” said the 38-year-old accounts clerk. 

However, Poh Thye said the maid was a slow worker and they often had to repeat their instructions to her several time. 

Mok's husband, Choong Ho Fatt, 70, who owns a poultry company in Batu Maung, was distraught over the sudden tragic death of his wife. 

“We only hired the maid to help lighten her burden of housework,” he said.  

The couple have eight sons, three daughters and 15 grandchildren. 

Balik Pulau OCPD Supt Abdul Wahab Embong confirmed the report and said that police were looking for the maid. 

Anyone with information can call ASP Azman Salim at 04-866-2222.  

Police have classified the case as murder. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Across the site