KOTA KINABALU: Yayasan Sabah will in the next several days reveal details of operations in the timber concession in the south-east Kalabakan region, Sabah Finance Minister Datuk Musa Aman said.
He said it is better for Yayasan Sabah to explain the actual situation there.
However, he said an initial examination of the timber concession showed that there was no illegal logging activity in the area.
Last month, the Sabah Environmental Protection Association (Sepa) urged the state government to stop all logging activity at Kalabakan, which it said was causing serious and irreparable environmental damage.
Sepa acting president Datin Sue Jayasuriya said an aerial survey of the area allocated to Innoprise Corporation, a Yayasan Sabah subsidiary, showed that the forests in Kalabakan had been cleared and there were also no strips of jungles left along the river banks.
She claimed that the tree fellings had caused severe sedimentation problems in nearby rivers and was ending up at Cowie Bay in the east coast.
Musa was speaking to reporters after witnessing the signing of a memorandum of understanding between Yayasan Sabah and Universiti Malaysia Sabah here. The MoU provides for increased research collaboration in areas such as sustainable forest management as well the establishment of fellowship programmes between the foundation and the university.
On another matter, he said the ministry is looking into whether reports should be lodged with the Anti-Corruption Agency with regards to losses up to a tune of RM5bil incurred by the state over various lopsided deals
“We’ll look into it,” he said, declining to elaborate.
On Dec 28, Chief Minister Datuk Chong Kah Kiat said that Sabah was in financial ruin due to, among others, its RM1bil debt to three private water production concessionaires, a private car hire company and contractors.
Did you find this article insightful?