Paraglider: I could only pray not to die

Muhammad Rosely Azli recalled his near-death experience after his parachute was swept away by strong winds and dragged 1,200m high up into the clouds while paragliding in Kuala Kubu Baru last Sunday.

"I panicked and tried many ways to descent but to no avail, and I dropped my walkie-talkie," the 53-year-old said.

"It was such a scary situation being tossed and thrown about in the clouds. I could only pray not to die," the extreme sport enthusiast shared.

His ordeal continued as his parachute soared higher and reached freezing altitude, which deprived him of oxygen. He then passed out.

When he regained consciousness, Mohamad Rosley found himself safe on ground at about 6pm, several hours after he and six others took off from Bukit Batu Pahat at 2.30pm.

"The sky was turning dark and I could hear the azan prayers and see the road lights. But I was too exhausted and spent a night under the parachute," he said.

The next morning, he saw a helicopter, which was searching for him, hovering above and he waved his arms.

District OCPD Supt R Supramaniam said Mohamad Rosley was found 3km away from Taman Milennium, the location where he was supposed to land.


> Woman robbed in front of her house
A woman, who was doing gardening outside her house, was robbed by eight armed men in front of the house in Sungai Buloh, Kuala Lumpur.

The robbers had threatened the woman to hand over all her belongings at about 11am on Monday.

She tried to run away but fell when she was pushed by the assailants. The robbers made off with the woman's personal documents and valuables, including cash and a handphone.

Sungai Buloh OCPD Supt Wan Kamarul Azran Wan Yusof said police were investigating the case.


> Elaine visits daughter Etta in hospital
Former Hong Kong beauty queen Elaine Ng secretly visited her daughter Etta Ng in a hospital in Hong Kong. 

The 17-year-old Etta is the daughter of actor Jackie Chan. 

The 44-year-old Elaine told reporters that she was seeking medical treatment for gastric pains when she was spotted in the hospital.

However, the daily reported that it is believed that Elaine was secretly visiting Etta who has been in hospital since last week. 

Etta received treatment in the hospital after a getaway in Thailand. She made a police report accusing her mother of criminal intimidation last month.

Berita Harian , malay newspaper