Advice on fire safety for schools


  • Education
  • Sunday, 30 Jun 2019

SCHOOLS must take fire safety seriously.

As advised by Fire and Rescue Department deputy director-general Datuk Amer Yusof, common factors that contribute to house fires during festivals include electrical overload that occurs when several electrical items are plugged into the same socket.

The appliances could also be frayed or damaged, and there could be negligence when handling electrical appliances.

Consumers must be alert and pay attention to unusual odour or smoke coming from appliances or equipment that may overheat. Place heated appliances such as an iron a metre away from household items that are highly flammable. Do not forget to switch them off when the task is over.

Never touch anything electrical with wet hands or while standing in water. Wear

rubber shoes in wet areas. If you get a

tingle or shock when touching a sink,

tub, or other wet areas, turn off the power at the main panel (if it’s safe) and call an electrician immediately.

Keep metal objects such as silverware away from outlets.

Don’t overload sockets. Use a power board with a safety switch and only use one per wall outlet.

When unplugging, don’t yank! Pull by the plug, not the cord.

Don’t run cords under rugs or furniture. Also keep them away from pets that like to chew.

Always clean the lint filter for your dryer. If an item says “do not put in dryer”, trust the warning!

Test safety switches each year.

Children, beware! Don’t fly kites near power lines. The kite or string can conduct electricity, sending it right through you to the ground.

Never touch a downed power line or climb a utility pole.BULBIR SINGH

Seremban


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online