SUBANG Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ) has denied closing down eateries in Puchong and Seri Kembangan for not adhering to a five-stall-per-restaurant policy.
MPSJ councillor Ken Chia said the restaurants were instead ordered closed as a result of poor hygienic conditions that led to numerous public complaints.
“These shops have had numerous complaints against them and we have issued several summonses and notices to them,” he said.
Chia said the shops had placed stalls on the five-foot-way and at parking spaces while washing areas were near clogged drains.
He said a guideline drawn up in 2007 required shop owners to provide stall space of at least 200sq ft in food premises.
“Each stall has to be within the shoplot premises.
“This includes the wash area, stall, stoves and counters,” he told reporters at the MPSJ office in Subang Jaya yesterday.
On Sept 30, four eateries in Puchong and Seri Kembangan were closed down by the authorities.
Apparently there was a misunderstanding between this incident and a complaint last week by coffeeshop owners on the council’s decision to revoke licences of eateries with more than five stalls in the premises.
Councillor Pooi Weng Keong who was also present at the press conference said the council was particular about food hygiene as well as the eateries’ surroundings.
“The food must be clean and that goes for the surroundings as well.
“We also look out for the safety of the people who dine there.
“Placing tables and chairs outside can be dangerous for them,” he added.
Chia said some of the operators were allowed to reopen their stalls while others could appeal their case.