Entulu: Demand for halal products stronger as Muslim population increases


  • Community
  • Monday, 11 Mar 2013

KUCHING: The halal industry has huge potential as its world market is estimated to be worth RM6.9tril annually.

Rural and Regional Development Deputy Minister Datuk Joseph Entulu Belaun said the demand for halal products had also increased even as Muslim population in the world increased to 1.8 billion now.

“By 2030, the Muslim population is expected to account for 23% of the world population.

“This will result in the demand for halal products to increase besides the knowledge of the products among non-Muslims.

“Halal products have even attracted the attention of countries like China, Japan and Russia which have involved themselves in the halal industry,” he said when officiating at the Mara Halal Park and Demak Laut Mara Industrial Zone here yesterday.

He said the Government had taken a holistic approach to developing the halal industry to create a halal ecosystem.

“The overall activities in the halal supply chain is able to generate income for the nation while creating business and job opportunities for the people,” he added.

He pointed out that the country’s halal export was expected to increase by an estimated 6% this year.

The export, he added, had increased from RM23.1bil in 2010 to RM35.4bil in 2011, which was 5.1% of the country’s total export.

Among the major halal products exported, he said, were ingredients worth RM12bil, followed by food and beverage worth RM11.92bil and palm oil products (RM7bil).

These halal products, he added, were mainly exported to China, United States and Singapore.

“Infrastructure development such as the Halal Park and other facilities by the Government has so far attracted an investment exceeding RM7bil.

“Out of this, 80% are foreign investment, while the remaining 20% are domestic investment,” he added.

On Demak Laut Mara Industrial Zone, Entulu said it could generate average sales of RM5mil annually.

“With the opening of this industrial zone, it is hoped that sales could increase by up to 30%,” he added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Government , Government , halal

   

Across the site