SOME 200 hawkers at Pasar Koboi are frustrated over the Alor Setar City Council’s (MBAS) move to relocate them to a temporary market which they claim has poor facilities.
Fishmonger Toh Joo Teng, 60, said he was instructed to move his stall last Sunday to the temporary market which had no drainage system.
“Hawkers and marketgoers are choked up by the stench at the fish section here due to the overflowing water,” he added.
Toh said MBAS officers issued him a warning notice three days after he moved there because of the issue.
“This is not my fault because they did not build a drainage system in the market in the first place,” he said.
It was reported that the hawkers were relocated temporarily as the 50-year-old Pasar Koboi would be given a RM7.5mil facelift to turn it into a two-storey business centre that would include offices, retail outlets and food stalls.
The project in Jalan Sultan Abdul Halim started in September last year and was supposed to be completed within 15 months.
Another fishmonger Hassan Din, 62, said his business dropped by almost 30% as the temporary market did not have much crowd.
“This temporary market is located some 200m away from Pasar Koboi. There is no car park for the customers too,” he said.
A marketgoer, who wanted to be known only as Loo, 28, said the temporary market was not conducive and the stalls were not located accordingly.
“I used to come to Pasar Koboi every day but after the construction started, this area is very messy,” said the housewife.
Kedah Action Force Association chairman Thana Chew Ne Meng said he received more than 20 complaints from hawkers and the public about the temporary market.
“I will write to MBAS so that they will look into this matter,” he told a press conference yesterday.
MBAS mayor Datuk Mat Noh Ahmad could not be reached for comment.