DESPITE a tougher course this year, some participants in the Malakoff 12km run managed to complete the race under an hour.
“Last year they only had to run around the KLGCC (Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club) area which was rather easy to some, so this year we came up with a tougher route and many enjoyed it,” said Malakoff CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya who also participated in the race.
Ahmad Jauhari said the Jalan Beringin loop was tougher for newcomers, but it had more hills with lots of shady trees, making it a great running route with a view.
Among the 2,500 participants, Frenchman Jean-Pierre Lautredoux who took the first place in the men’s Veteran category was the fastest finisher in the competition with a time of 39 minutes 13 seconds.
Amutha Arumugam won the women’s Open category when she completed the run in 50:56..
Ahmad Jauhari added that the race was also part of Malakoff’s flagship CSR platform – the Malakoff Community Partnerships which aims to bring together people of varied background to foster unity as well as to encourage an active lifestyle.
“As we step into 2010, Malakoff will continue to remain committed to doing its part to promote greater participation, especially from the youth, through healthy sporting activities like this,” said Ahmad Jauhari.
Besides the competitive 12km route, there was also a shorter course of 7km whereby new runners and children could try out.
Malakoff also presented a cheque of RM30,000 at the event to be shared equally by three charity organisations; the Pusat Jagaan Nur Salam, St Mark’s Cozy Home and the Malaysian Mental Health Association.
Women’s Junior 7km
1. Sylvia Moey (36:53) 2. Alifah Ilyana Mohd Yasin (38:48) 3. Siva Sanggeerthana Muraly (42:32)
Men’s Junior 7km
1. Aridas Dass (27:54) 2. Mohd Azrol Azmil Mohd Don (28:16) 3. Yusri Farit Mohd Lotfi (28:18)
1. Miyuki Hirai (34:06) 2. Jessica Chan Chui See (38:37) 3. Sue Ling Wong (38:41)
1.Arul Thever Muniandy (26:50) 2. Murali @ Arasu Muniandy (26:51)
3.Prabakharan Madhavan (26:52)
Women’s Senior Veteran 12km
1. Lian Bee Hoon (55:23) 2. Agnes Tee Yok Loi (59:02) 3. Yasuko Hosotani (59:36)
Men’s Senior Veteran 12km
1. Mohd Sowoto (49:48) 2. Md Yasan Rahmin (51:42) 3. Tee Teck Bee (51:57)
Women’s Veteran 12km
1. Tan Lee Chin (53:53) 2. Ch’ng Lay Khim (58:39) 3. Carmen Leong (1’01:09)
Men’s Veteran 12km
1. Jean-Pierre Lautredoux (39:13) 2. Raymond Wareham (43:06)
3. Ong Chin (45:14)
Women’s Open 12km
1. Amutha Arumugam (50:56) 2. Cheah Meei Meei (56:28) 3. Fariza Abd Hamid (57:19)
Men’s Open 12km
1. Lim Khon Seng Casey (45:27) 2. Jasni Khairil Jamaluddin (45:57) 3. Heshwinder Oon Chee Eng (47:46)