THE PENANG State Road Safety Department (JKJR) has lined up several educational programmes aimed at reducing fatal road accidents.
JKJR director S. Jegan said that even though the number of fatal accidents in Penang had dropped for the first three months of the year compared with the same period last year, “it must be reduced further”.
He said 81 cases were reported from January to March this year compared with 90 cases during the same period last year.
“We want the figure reduced as there were 56 fatal accidents involving motorcyclists, which is still high, compared with 63 previously,” he said at a road safety campaign seminar in Seberang Jaya on Saturday.
He said 8,088 road accidents were reported during the period compared with 8,545 previously, and nine deaths involved pedestrians compared with 13 cases previously.
The half-day seminar was attended by 160 people including 120 heavy-vehicle drivers from the public and private sectors. Several staff members from various government agencies also participated in the seminar.
The seminar was jointly organised by JKJR, PLUS Expressways Berhad and Malaysian Highway Authority.
PLUS Expressways Berhad section manager Ku Jamil Zakaria said 1,103 heavy vehicles were involved in accidents on PLUS highways last year compared with 1,134 in 2007.