THE swimming pool in Lorong Sultan, Petaling Jaya, has been closed for about three years now and it may remain so for some time, much to the annoyance of the people who want to use the pool.
Calvin Ho, 27, said he used to swim in the pool every Saturday during his secondary school days as it was the venue of his school’s swimming club.
“It is quite sad to see the pool in its current state as it used to be quite a popular place,” said Ho.
A PJ resident, who only wants to be known as Sivakumar, said he worked in the area and that he had seen people turning up at the pool only to be disappointed.
“I have been working in this area for the last 15 years and when the pool was opened, there were many people, especially on weekends. You could see families eating at the restaurants,” he said.
Currently, there is a sign at the entrance of the swimming pool announcing that it is temporarily closed until further notice but the gate is left open.
People can be seen walking into the pool compound to walk towards the Maju Curry House next to it.
However, there is another barrier to prevent people from walking into the pool area and the changing rooms for swimmers are also locked.
Another set of toilets seem to be still in use as it is unlocked and lighted.
Despite it being unused, there is water in the pool with dirt and algae collecting in it.
Bukit Gasing assemblyman Edward Lee said he had received complaints from residents who were regular users of the pool.
“Many of them are unhappy with the existing operators as the pool is poorly maintained,” said Lee.
According to MBPJ public relations director Haniza Abdul Hamid, the agreement held by the current operator expired on Nov 30 last year and they have been issued notice to vacate the premises.
MBPJ councillor Latheefa Koya said the issue was discussed during one of the committee meetings and would reopen it for proposals to refurbish the pool.
“We want the pool to be turned into a family oriented place that is affordable for the PJ people,” she said.
Lee said based on performance, the previous operator should not be given another chance to renew the contract.
He said some residents had also alleged that there were gaming machines being operated at the outlets in the area.
“These unhealthy activities should not be carried out at a public amenity owned by the council,” said Lee.