PETITE Loh Chooi Joy provided a perfect reason for hosts Serdang Rhythmic Angels (SRA) to celebrate at the third Angel Cup at the National Sports Council (NSC) gymnasium in Bukit Jalil recently.
The Year Five pupil of SJK (C) Serdang Baru 2 (Seri Kembangan) kept the club’s impeccable track record intact in the Pre-Junior section at the biennial meet.
SRA had secured the Pre-Junior individual overall title at the previous two meets, through Elaine Koon (2004) and Amy Kwan Dict Weng (2006).
En route to bagging the individual overall gold medal in her category on the opening day, Loh also played a pivotal role in securing the top spot of the mixed team event along with Low Jia Huai (Pre-Junior) and Veronica Au Wei Ran (Junior A).
For each team, the top two finishers in the Pre-Junior and best performer in the Junior contributed to the side’s tally in the standings.
Despite fumbling on several occasions in her routines on the first day, the 11-year-old Loh felt relieved as she pulled through for a clean sweep in the Pre-Junior contest with a total of five gold medals to show at the end of the two-day competition.
“I was very anxious and nervous on the first day. It did not help that I had to cope with sweaty palms. That was the reason I dropped the ball once and clubs three times in my routines. But, I was much more confident and bounced back on the next day,” said Loh, who also clinched three gold medals in three individual events (freehand, ball and clubs).
The meet, hosted with the support from IJM as the main sponsor for the third consecutive time, drew almost 200 participants including entries from seven foreign countries.
Besides two club-based teams from Thailand (Jintana and Senachai RG Club) and Taiwan (CTGA and Quaio-Xian Club), the other five countries - Indonesia (JAK Rhythmic Club), South Korea (Gim-po Gymnastic Association), Japan (Monica RG Club), Australia (Meriden RG Centre) and Hungary (Garantiqa-Obuda RSG TC) - were also in the fray with a team each.
South Korean Son Yeon-Jae emerged as the first foreign winner in the Junior B (14 and 15 years) category with her superb form. She chalked up a comfortable margin to surge ahead of her challengers.
Among the past Junior category champions from the SRA stable were Jamie Lee Yoke Jeng (2004) and Elaine Koon (2006).
Son from Gim-po Gymnastic Association complemented her Junior B individual overall title with another three gold medals in all three apparatuses (rope, hoop and ball) in the combined Junior A (12 and 13 year) and Junior B individual events contest.
Deputy organising chairman Teh Lah Hoong praised the 14-year-old South Korean for setting a good example to inspire the budding gymnasts with her classy acts.
“Her strong display here has certainly encouraged others to raise the bar in order to stay competitive. She won the judges’ approval with interesting elements and impressive level of difficulties,” said Teh, adding that Son also obeyed her coach’s instructions and stuck to her diet during their one-day sightseeing outing around Kuala Lumpur after the competition with other participants.
> LITTLE ANGELS’ GALA
1. Jintana, Thailand 8.700 pts, 2. SJK (C) Yu Hua, Kajang, Malaysia 8.300 pts, 3. SRA, Malaysia 8.300 pts
> AESTHETIC ANGELS’ GALA
1. SRA “H”, Malaysia 8.850 pts, 2. SRA “F”, Malaysia 8.750 pts, 3. Jintana, Thailand 8.600 pts
> TEAM EVENT
1. Loh Chooi Joy, Low Jia Huai, Veronica Au Wei Ran (SRA, Malaysia) 112.750 pts, 2. Chan Ting-Chen, Sung Chia-Hui, Ku Ni-Chen (CTGA, Taiwan) 106.325 pts, 3. Ilada Chatsanguanchai, Thanaporn Wimolpattranon, Temfah Krisanayuth (Jintana, Thailand) 105.800 pts
- Individual Overall: 1. Low Chooi Joy (SRA, Malaysia) 37.150 pts, 2. Low Jia Huai (SRA, Malaysia) 35.325 pts, 3. Ueampom Hiransirilak (Senachai, Thailand) 35.000 pts
- Freehand: 1. Loh Chooi Joy (SRA, Malaysia) 11.750 pts, 2. Ilada Chatsanguanchai (Jintana, Thailand) 10.575 pts, 3. Dorina Koska (Garantiqa-Obuda RSG TC, Hungary) 10.550
- Ball: 1. Loh Chooi Joy (SRA, Malaysia) 13.250 pts, 2. Chan Ting-Chen (CTGA, Taiwan) 11.675 pts, 3. Low Jia Huai (SRA, Malaysia) 11.275 pts
- Clubs: 1. Loh Chooi Joy (SRA, Malaysia) 12.325 pts, 2. Ilada Chatsanguanchai (Jintana, Thailand) 11.625 pts, 3. Dorina Koska (Garantiqa-Obuda RSG TC, Hungary) 11.100 pts
> JUNIOR A (12 and 13 years)
- Individual Overall: 1. Veronica Au Wei Ran (SRA, Malaysia) 40.275 pts, 2. Chloe Chung (SRA, Malaysia) 37.500 pts, 3. Temfah Krisanayuth (Jintana, Thailand) 36.800 pts
> JUNIOR B (14 and 15 years)
- Individual Overall: 1. Son Yeon-Jae (Gim-po Gymnastic Association, South Korea) 46.000 pts, 2. Ku Ni-Chen (CTGA, Taiwan) 38.825 pts, 3. Loh Chooi Shawn (SRA, Malaysia) 38.550 pts
> JUNIOR A and B
- Rope: 1. Son Yeon -Jae (Gim-po Gymnastic Association, South Korea) 16.000 pts, 2. Veronica Au Wei Ran (SRA, Malaysia) 13.375 pts, 3. Ku Ni-Chen (CTGA, Taiwan) 12.875 pts
- Hoop: 1. Son Yeon-Jae (Gim-po Gymnastic Association, South Korea) 15.400 pts, 2. Veronica Au Wei Ran (SRA, Malaysia) 14.625 pts, 3. Ku Ni-Chen (CTGA, Taiwan) 14.025 pts
- Ball: 1. Son Yeon-Jae (Gim-po Gymnastic Association, South Korea) 15.350 pts, 2. Chloe Chung (SRA, Malaysia) 13.300 pts, 3. Ku Ni Chen (CTGA, Taiwan) 13.250 pts