THE 12 local councils in Selangor have been appointed godfathers to the Selangor contingent preparing for the Sukma in Kuala Terengganu from May 31- June 9.
Selangor State Sports Council (MSNS) deputy chairman Amirudin Shari said the local councils were given the responsibilities to adopt certain according to the facilities available in their jurisdiction.
Shah Alam City Council (MBSA) have adopted gymnastics, fencing, athletics and swimming while Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) took charge of badminton, golf, cycling, squash and tennis.
Amirudin said the approach was to give the local councils the opportunity to play a part in the promotion and development of sports.
"We are pleased with the local council for their role in the preparations of the Selangor contingent for the Sukma. This arrangement is also likely to bring the people closer to the local councils,'' said Amirudin.
Hulu Selangor District Council president Tukiman Nail said they were in charge of the football squad's training programme.
"We assisted the football team's training sessions as well as provided them with moral support. We hope the football team does well in the Sukma,'' said Tukiman after receiving a certificate of appreciation from Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim recently.
Khalid, who is also the MSNS chairman, also received sponsorship totalling RM1 million. Kumpulan Darul Ehsan, Worldwide Holdings, Selangor Development Corporation (PKNS), Selangor Agriculture Development Corporation (PKPS), Permodalan Negri Selangor Bhd (PNSB) were the sponsors.
Khalid said the appreciated the support from the sponsors which would be utilised towards the Selangor contingent's preparations and participation in the Sukma.
Selangor, who were the overall champions since 1998, are eyeing the coveted title for the seventh consecutive games. At the last Games in Alor Star, Selangor amassed bagged 53 gold, 44 silver and 56 bronze medals and accumulated 629 points. The MSNS also paid out RM762,750 as incentives to the medal winners.
This year, Selangor will be taking part in 31 sports – weightlifting, badminton, netball, volleyball and beach volleyball, football, lawn bowls, equestrian, gymnastics, golf, hockey, karate, rowing, fencing, cycling, archery, shooting, athletics, silat, petanque, table tennis, rugby, aquatics, sepak takraw, squash, sailing, taekwondo, tennis, bowling, boxing and wushu – and they have set a target of 61 gold medals.
The Selangor contingent's godfathers for Sukma 2008:
- Shah Alam City Council: gymnastics, fencing, athletics, swimming
- Petaling Jaya City Council: badminton, golf, cycling, squash, tennis
- Subang Jaya Municipal Council: rugby, taekwondo, bowling, wushu
- Selangor Municipal Council: equestrian, archery, sepak takraw
- Klang Municipal Council: hockey (men and women), table tennis, canoeing,
- Kajang Municipal Council: weightlifting, netball, judo,
- Sepang Municipal Council: lawn bowls, petanque
- Kuala Langat District Council: yachting
- Hulu Selangor District Council: football
- Sabak Bernam District Council : boxing
- Ampang Jaya Municipal Council: karate, shooting, silat.
- Kuala Selangor District Council: volleyball