ALOR STAR: More families have been evacuated as floodwaters rose in Pendang, near here.
A total 143 people from 35 families were evacuated yesterday, bringing the total number of evacuees in the district to 237.
They are from Pondok Batu Hampar, Pondok Haji Husin, Seberang Pekan Pen-dang, Kampung Seberang Pendang, Kam-pung Alor Ali, Kampung Rambai and Kam-pung Lubuk Gajah, Kampung Batu 16, Kampung Seberang Titi Dua Lapis, Tanah Merah Dalam, Simpang Tiga Tobiar Kam-pung Suka Mari, Kampung Banggol Kam-bing and Kampung Banggol Besi.
All the victims are now staying at a Sports Complex in Tanah Merah, Pendang.
On Tuesday night, 94 people from 27 families were evacuated from the same villages.
The district was hit by flood since Monday night.
A spokesman from Pendang flood operations centre said the Sungai Pendang water level had reached 3.03m yesterday, exceeding the danger level of 2.7m.
“Floodwaters rose to 1 metre after water from Sungai Pendang overflowed,” he said.
Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid when met yesterday said the state had asked the Drainage and Irrigation Department to study the irrigation system in Pendang.
“Most of the affected villages were also flooded when the district was hit by flood last month,” he said.
Mahdzir said the department was told to find ways to solve the problem.
He said the shallow river basins was believed to be the reason for the flood.
He said Sungai Titi Haji Idris, which channelled water from the four rivers in Pendang to the sea was also shallow.
Mahdzir said the department had applied for a federal allocation to deepen and widen the rivers but had yet to receive the allocation.
“We hope the department would speed up the process so that we could deepen the rivers quickly,” he said after visiting the flood victims at a sports complex in Tanah Merah here.
Mahdzir also said the state planned to relocate the affected villagers to a new area.