Two-week delay for Swatow Lane hawkers


  • Community
  • Friday, 29 Dec 2006

PENANG: Swatow Lane roadside hawkers will not be operating their stalls within the new complex at the former New World Park on New Year's Day. 

They are expected to start operating from the new hawker centre with within the RM17m complex on Jan 15. 

Penang Municipal councillor Teh Leong Meng the Penang Municipal Council has yet to receive any application for a certificate of fitness (CF) from the developer PPB Hartabina.  

He said a meeting was held between the council and the developer on Dec 11.  

“But until now we could not issue the CF as nothing black and white has been received from the deve-loper,” Teh said yesterday. 

PPB Hartabina senior manager Wong Kah Keen said they had received clearance from three of the four relevant authorities. 

He said approval had been slower than usual because the various head of departments had gone on leave during this festive season.  

The two-hectare complex is being redeveloped at a cost of RM17 million into an all-in-one location for food and entertain-ment.  

It comprises a 28-stall hawker centre, a covered performance stage and several blocks of shop houses.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online