Focus on preventing tragic fire deaths


MOST fires are caused by human error, said Perak MCA organising secretary Dr Mah Hang Soon. 

He was speaking during a fire prevention talk held on Wednesday night at Jelapang. 

The talk, organised by MCA, was held in light of the recent deaths of kindergarten pupil Tan Sin Cheong and her grandmother Wong Mooi, 56. They died during a Feb 13 fire at their house at Jalan Sekolah in Ipoh. 

“We see so many of these tragedies. The least we can do is try to prevent them,” said Dr Mah. 

He added that people also needed to know how to deal with victims by using resuscitation techniques or how to react when caught in a house on fire. 

“For example, there is a layer of fresh air just above ground level during a fire. Do not get up and run. Lie low, put a wet towel on your face and then crawl out,” he said.        

Energy, Water and Communications Ministry technical advisor Jasni Satar warned of the danger caused by sparks from electrical appliances. 

“Wiring systems that are 10 years or older should be either rewired or checked continuously,” he said. 

Jasni added that old wires should be covered with plastic or metal tubes to prevent rats from chewing them.         

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers