Grille traps


IPOH: Install window grilles that can be opened from the inside, Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Tajol Rosli Ghazali advised. 

“Permanent window grilles can cause loss of lives when people can get trapped in their homes during emergencies, especially when there’s a fire,” he told reporters at the Ipoh Hospital here yesterday. 

Tajol Rosli made the plea after visiting injured family members of six-year-old Tan Sin Cheong who was burnt alive in her burning house in Jelapang here on Monday. 

In the 6pm incident, Sin Cheong was killed after fire engulfed her home on Jalan Sekolah. 

Her mother, 26, and elderly grandmother, 73, were also hurt in the fire believed to have started in the living room where Sin Cheong was sleeping. 

Only Sin Cheong’s five-year-old brother escaped unhurt. 

Ipoh Hospital director Dr Ziaudin Ahamed Abdul Ka-reem said the mother was being treated for burns on both arms. 

“The grandmother’s condition is critical. 

“She is in the intensive care unit due to smoke inhalation and burns on her body,” he said, adding that the mother’s condition was also critical. 

Earlier, Tajol Rosli handed over aid amounting to RM8,000 from the state government, Perak MCA and Perak Barisan Nasional to Sin Cheong’s father. 

The 38-year-old salesman, who wished to be known only as Tan, said he was still at a loss on what to do next. 

Others who visited the family included state executive councillor Datuk Ho Cheng Wang, Tronoh assemblyman Datuk Lee Kon Yin and state MCA organising se-cretary Dr Mah Hang Soon. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers