A CORDIAL closed-door meeting was held involving Petaling Jaya councillors, the mayor and a member of the Selangor exco at City Council (MBPJ) headquarters over the walkout during its full board meeting on Tuesday (May 30).
According to a statement from Selangor local government, public transportation and new village development committee chairman Ng Sze Han, who attended the meeting, the parties came together on Friday (June 2) to discuss the issues involved and clear up any misunderstandings.
“I hope the good understanding among all parties will continue to ensure stronger ties for the betterment of the city of Petaling Jaya,” said Ng.
He added that the Selangor state government always emphasised collaboration and consensus in finding solutions for the benefit of Selangorians.
The meeting was also attended by mayor Datuk Mohamad Azhan Md Amir and councillors Terence Tan, Ahmad Akhir Pawan Chik and Zamri Mohamad.
When contacted, Tan said the councillors are ready to meet at the next special full board meeting to be held soon as there are many matters that need to be approved.
“As for the One-Stop Centre (OSC) issue, the councillors will need to go through the new Selangor state guidelines.
“As for today's meeting with Ng, it was a cordial one. We need to move on and have a full board meeting to be fair to the city's rate payers,” said Tan.
It was reported earlier that 19 out of 24 councillors walked out of the recent full board meeting on Tuesday in a show of disapproval over the mayor's statement that the councillors were not decision-makers during an OSC discussion but were only there to give input on social and political aspects.
The meeting was subsequently called off due to the lack of quorum.
In a joint statement issued later, the 19 councillors said they walked out to keep MBPJ from committing legal errors that may set a precedent, and to take care of the citizens' interests.
The disagreement stemmed from approval for a development project in Lorong Sultan.