A MEETING between the mayor and several department directors in Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) will be held soon to decide the fate of seven traders who have been asked to move out from their regular trading site in Brickfields.
A DBKL spokesperson said they hope to discuss issues pertaining to extensions, obstructions, cleanliness and hygiene at the Ruang Tinjau food court in Little India, where the traders were operating from.
The land belongs to the Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur Land and Mines Office (PTGWP).
“We want to see a solution as this issue keeps coming up again and again,’’ said the spokesperson.
On Feb 27, StarMetro had reported on the matter,“Licence of seven traders not renewed”.
On May 16, 2022, StarMetro had reported on the traders’ joy at being given the licence to operate, only for their hopes to be dashed a few months later.
The traders said they were shocked when told their licences would not be renewed as PTGWP had given DBKL a Temporary Occupation Licence to operate the food court last year.
Minority Rights Action Party president Datuk A. Chandrakumanan then brought the matter to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s attention.
Chandrakumanan told StarMetro that the traders were having sleepless nights over the matter.
“We want a resolution once and for all.
“The food court was built using taxpayers’ money for the traders who have been operating there for 40 years,” he said.