Taman Bukit Permai 2 residents need to vacate as 15 houses no longer structurally safe, says exco member


AMPANG: Residents of some 15 homes in Taman Bukit Permai 2 here, which were previously affected by a landslide last year, are being asked to move out as the houses are found to be structurally unsafe.

Selangor infrastructure committee chairman Izham Hashim said the various agencies’ technical reports showed that the houses at the top of the slope were no longer safe to be occupied, and the state would be discussing the next measures to be taken.

“Although the slope itself is stable as mitigation works are being carried out, the houses show signs of damage.

“All the agencies involved including the Public Works Department (PWD) and supported by Ikram (Malaysian Institute of Public Works) have unanimously decided the houses are not safe and there is no choice but to ask the residents to leave.

“The matter will be discussed at the exco meeting this Wednesday on what options we can present to the residents,” he said during a press conference at the site Monday evening (Jan 9).

Izham added that one option being explored was for the state to acquire the land and houses.

“But this will also require legal and financial considerations which we have to take into account.”

He added that the homeowners would be officially notified soon, although no time frame was given on when the evacuation would take place.

Also present during the site visit were representatives from the Ampang Jaya Municipal Council (MPAJ), Ikram, PWD and Hulu Langat district office.

Izham added that there have been six incidents of landslides and soil erosion at the affected slope since the major landslide in March last year.

On March 10, slope failure led to the massive landslide, claiming four lives and forcing the evacuation of residents from Taman Mega Jaya and Taman Bukit Permai 2.

Fifteen houses and 10 vehicles were damaged in the incident.

The area was later declared a disaster zone, resulting in the evacuation of occupants from 48 houses in Jalan Teratai 1/2K, Jalan Teratai 1/2J and Jalan Mega 15.

On March 12, another landslide occurred at the same site and residents from another 22 houses in Jalan Bukit Permai 1 were asked to evacuate.

In July, StarMetro reported that soil erosion on the same slope, some 100m away from the site of the landslide, buried an excavator that had been left at the area.

The latest incident of soil erosion in December was triggered by an underground sewerage pipe, which had burst.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Metro News

Ideas for different kinds of dads
Promising badminton talent at junior championship
Clash over redevelopment consent
Musical celebrates MCA’s 75th anniversary
State govt renames two roads
Public enlisted to help nab culprits of illegal dumping
Taiping park to be Ipoh fashion runway
Global sports spotlight on Putrajaya
Star Media Group staff enjoy a free lunch
Catalysing research to elevate national healthcare

Others Also Read