Stop-work order for funeral parlour near homes


Fencing put up at the site of the private funeral parlour project just 3m away from some houses in Jalan Bakawali, Taman Johor Jaya.

JOHOR Baru City Council (MBJB) is ordering the developer of a private funeral parlour in Jalan Bakawali, Taman Johor Jaya, to stop construction immediately.

The council told StarMetro that a stop-work order would be issued within the week.

“MBJB has not received any application from the developer for a construction permit.

“As such, all construction activities must cease until an application is made for the council to review the plans and related documents,” it said.

This followed complaints by some residents against the project which they said is just 3m away from their homes.

One of the disgruntled residents, Mark Lee, 43, said no proper signage or notices were put up for the project despite land clearing having started about six months ago.

He added that there used to be a warehouse at the site for repairs of heavy vehicles and storage of parts.

“Previously, we heard that the area was being cleared for a low-cost housing project.

“We were shocked to learn about the funeral parlour and wondered how such a big project can go on when the developer has yet to receive the local council’s approval,” he said.

Another resident, Syafiq Asyraf Ahmad, felt such premises could potentially create discomfort within the community which was made up of people from various backgrounds.

“We are upset that the project is located so close to our homes.

“I am also concerned that once completed, the funeral parlour could emit smoke that will pose health risks,” he said.

Businesswoman GK Lim said such a project should be located in a more suitable site instead of a residential area.

“When some of the residents approached the developer about the project, they were told that an announcement had been made in the newspapers but I feel that is not enough.

“They should have met the residents and got our views before starting such a project,” added the 58-year-old.

The residents also channelled their grouses to Johor Jaya assemblyman Liow Cai Tung who said she would check with MBJB and the Johor Baru District Office.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Metro News

Hampered by labour shortage
10% of mamak eateries closed due to staff shortage
Builders appeal for return of Indonesian workers
EC to bear cost of repairing two fields in Lembah Pantai
MBSJ closely watching three flood-prone areas this month
Underground pipes to be moved out of landslide-prone area in Ampang Jaya
Special treat for young patients
Traffic wardens start enforcement on Jan 1
CM’s office shares festive joy
Planting trees to conserve biodiversity in integrated township

Others Also Read